Before you start
You can upgrade the following OpenSearch instance types:
- General purpose
- Compute optimized
- Memory optimized
There is no storage optimized Graviton instance type.
Graviton2 supports version 7.9 and above. If you run version 7.x, you’ll first need to upgrade to version 7.9. You can upgrade older versions < 7.0, but there are breaking changes to take into account.
Reserved instances are not flexible. They only apply to the exact instance type you reserved. You should not upgrade to Graviton2 before the reservation period is over. Otherwise you will pay both for the reservation and the “new” OpenSearch instance.
Instance health status
The upgrade to Graviton doesn’t require downtime and is low-risk. As per best practices, test the upgrade in a lower environment before making these changes in production.
Can I revert or downgrade?
The upgrade process performs its own pre-upgrade checks and creates a snapshot before starting. Downgrading is not possible. In case of problems, you can ask AWS support to restore the instance to the previous version.
Tip: Create your own snapshot before starting, so you can revert the changes faster.
- Open the AWS OpenSearch console
- Optional: create a snapshot
- Select the domain you want to upgrade
- Click on Edit
- In the Data nodes section, select the Graviton2 instance type that matches your needs. Example: upgrade an r5.2xlarge.elasticsearch instance to r6g.2xlarge.elasticsearch
- Click on Save changes
- Monitor the progress in the Cluster health tab
- Verify both primary nodes and data nodes are using Graviton2
- Test functionality with your application
Note: you can also use the AWS CLI to run the upgrade.
- Introducing OpenSearch. (2021, September 8). Amazon. Read more
- Troubleshooting Amazon OpenSearch Service – Amazon OpenSearch Service (successor to Amazon Elasticsearch Service). (n.d.). Amazon Developer Guide. Retrieved October 12, 2021, from Read more
- Creating index snapshots in Amazon OpenSearch Service – Amazon OpenSearch Service (successor to Amazon Elasticsearch Service). (n.d.). Amazon Developer Guide. Retrieved October 12, 2021, from Read more
- update-elasticsearch-domain-config — AWS CLI 1.20.59 Command Reference. (n.d.). AWS CLI Command Reference. Retrieved October 12, 2021, from Read more